With the death of it’s legendary 20% time and an increasing amount of corporate oversight, many analysts are openly asking the question, “Is Google the next Microsoft?” While at first blush it would seem impossible for the innovative Google to follow in the footsteps of the oft-behind Microsoft, many inside both companies are sounding the alarm of patterns they see as repeating themselves between the companies.
Quartz got a chance to sit down with an individual who has worked for both firms, and he offers some compelling insights as well as ways Google can avoid falling into the same destructive mold. According to the anonymous source, if Google is to avoid becoming Microsoft, they need to follow these rules:
- Too many cooks in the kitchen will kill innovation every time
- Don’t shackle teams to your past success or your existing business
- The consumer is more important than ever
- But the market for enterprise software is still huge
- Big companies must be comprised of small companies
- Stay positive
The full read is a fascinating look inside both cultures and we highly recommend it.
LuckyRobot is brought to you by Frequency Group